Monday 21 November 2011

Training for week beginning 20.11.11

Monday
No boxercise this evening due to a date with 10 lovely ladies, pizza hut, plus Edward and Jacob in Breaking Dawn! Oooops!

Tuesday
Part 2 of the club handicap this evening. I get so nervous! My left calf has been twinging all day and whilst I am not making it up, I do think psychologically I was playing on it as an excuse.

REALLY chuffed with my run today. I know that I set off way too slow last time (I had upped my mileage for the half marathon and forgot my pace for a shorter distance!) Set off with Angela and Jo which kept me moving fast. Was cursing Angela and Jo for setting off quick and making me work hard but I genuinely think it set me off at the right pace. Kept the same pace for both laps. Felt strong on the hill and overtook 2 runners which pushed me further. I never thought I was competitive but picking people off feels quite good for my self esteem! :-) Managed not to let anyone overtake until the second lap - Graham first just before Coolinge Lane and Chris on the final turn into Shornecliffe Road. When I heard footsteps, I was hoping it was a man as the further round I got, the more I was hoping to be the first lady home! Sue caught me on the final stretch but all those sprints have really paid off and after going head to head, I managed to pull the lead back and cross the line first. Using my arms correctly also made a difference. My time was 36: 27 compared to 38: 40 last time. 2:13 difference! I couldn't believe it. No idea how I am going to reach that time next time but it has definitely given me a buzz and the determination to keep the training going!

Wednesday
Aqua Running this evening
Started with my 32 lengths (half mile), then:
Strides, side steps and high knees in the shallow end for our warm up
x5 20 sec with 5 sec recovery
x10 1 min with 30 sec recovery
x10 30 sec with 15 sec recover
Jog, high knees, backwards jogging in the deep end for a warm down, followed by some dynamics back in the shallow end.

Thursday
Warm up to the Leas (roughly 1.5 miles) followed by dynamics. Main session today was 1 min sprint, 1 min recovery, 2 min sprint, 1 min recovery, 3 min sprint, 2 min recovery x3. I ran just behind the two lovely french ladies. I had to keep up as I had no watch this evening. I never used to use a watch but now I have started, I found it really frustrating having no idea of time. It did make me keep up though! Really pleased as 6 months ago, there would have been no way that I would have even thought to stick behind Genevieve and Natalie. Warm down 1.5 miles back to the club. Total of just under 7 miles this evening. A good run, particularly as my calf is beginning to play up :-( Great to see Linda again too!

Saturday
Gave myself a day off from X Country - partly due to my calf - I am hoping it is just because I haven't stretched much and upped the XC training and partly due to my late night last night! Was eating escondidos at 10pm and didn't think my stomach would appreciate the early wake up call and churning around. Will give calf a day off and perhaps try a longer run tomorrow as I haven't done a long run since the Folkestone half!

Sunday
11.2 miles in 1 hour 42 today! Thanks goes to my friend Scott who I roped in to running with me! I knew I was procrastinating when I opted to mark 60 literacy books/folders and some research lit for my masters rather than going running! I am not sure I would have gone if Scott had said no instead of yes!

Ran from Downs Road to Cornwallis Avenue along to the Cheriton Road traffic lights and up to the Nail box pub. Ran down the Golden Valley to Sandgate to Hythe Imperial and then all the way back along the coastline and up Sandgate hill. Ran along Sandgate Road and cut through to Shorncliffe Road, past the running club and back to Cornwallis Avenue. Cut through Lynwood back home!

My calf niggled for the first 7 miles and then it seemed to warm up, which gave me bit more confidence as have been worrying about it!  Felt really strong and I am sure the last time I did 10 miles, I did it in 1 hr 54, so definitely a marked improvement :-) Now for the x factor and a cuppa!




No comments:

Post a Comment