Sunday 6 November 2011

Deal Tri 5 Miler

Finally decided to take part in the Deal 5 miler at 6pm last night. Had an evening in (almost unheard of!) Unfortunately, woke up at 5am feeling under the weather. Ummed and ahhhed until 9am whether to run or watch. Gave myself a talking to and stopped feeling sorry for myself and decided to run!

So, so glad I did. After getting over the fact that I needed the toilet after the first mile (the ladies queues were just way too long), I actually enjoyed the race. This is probably the first race I have enjoyed. Woop woop!

It was disheartening when I set off as soooo many people overtake me and I was a little unsure whether I was going quick enough but I checked my time at the 2 mile mark - 16:20 and knew I was on target. I have never run a 5 mile race before, so I wasn't sure what to aim for! I wanted to do less than 9 minute miles but am not quick enough nor do I have enough stamina to do 8 minute miles (yet!?!), so my aim was between 40 and 45 minutes! I really enjoyed the looping back at 2 miles as I enjoyed seeing the faster runners coming back down as I was still going down. I smiled/ spoke to all those speedy Folkestonian runners who were on their way back towards the pier. It gave me a boost and thinking about who I was going to see next meant that section went quickly. Before I knew it, I was on the way back towards the pier. Going up against the wind on the way back was tough and a bit of a shock to start but our training sessions on the Leas in the wind and the X C training definitely helped.   I was able to pick people off on the way back which gave me even more confidence! I had a battle with another lady at the point where Dave and Lucy were standing. I managed to lose her against the wind. Unfortunately, once we turned out of the wind and on the final straight, I could hear her getting closer! I think we crossed the finishing line together. It was great to work against someone like that and kept me focused.

Finished in 41:37. Sooooo pleased with my time. I was buzzing! Kevin did a great job on the microphone as usual. Spoke to some of the other runners who did amazingly well - particularly Will (I need to up my training sessions like Will has as it's really paying off for him). Then headed back to the pier to support Evonne on her way back. Great morning, great support and great feeling afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment