Monday 27 February 2012

Week beginning 27.02.12

Monday 27.02
Run with Becky in Hythe. We just went for a little 4.6 miler this evening from the Murco in garage, along the Hythe Canal past Sainsbury's. Turned round at the 2 mile mark and headed back to Becky's. We just wanted to stretch our legs a little and get a few miles in but we both felt quite strong! 4 miles seemed like nothing after my 15 miler on Saturday. Really pleased that my back had stopped hurting as it was really painful on Sunday. Going to start some back exercises!

Splits:
1 - 9:13
2 - 8:57
3 - 8:58
4 - 8:51
5 - 9:06
Average pace: 9:01



Tuesday 28.02
Quick run before the AGM - 4 miles with Becky, Leah, Chloe and Lindsey. Loop from the running club through Cheriton and back.

1 - 9:15
2 - 9:21
3 - 9:01
4 - 8:52
Average pace: 9:07

Thursday 1.03
Planned to do the club session this evening as I haven't been since before Kenya, however I wanted to hold back a little as I was aware we have the Thanet 20 on Sunday. Unfortunately, Tina challenged me on one of the reps and as I have found out since joining the club, I do like a bit of a race off!

Warm up was around Lucy Avenue - roughly 1.7 miles. We then had our dynamic stretches before 8 x 300 metre sprints.

(missed the first one - locating satellite)
2 - 7:02
3 - 7:19
4 - 7:00
5 - 7:29
6 - 6:58
7 - 7:19
8 - 7:05

Really pleased with my times - quite consistent. You can see which one I challenged Tina on ;-p Thanks Tina!

Warmed down with a lap of the field which was just over a mile.

Distance today: 5 miles

Saturday 3.03


Dave said to try and get a couple of miles in today, so after cuddling my gorgeous friend's new baby girl for several hours, I hit the road with some of my friends who have recently set up their only little running club, which involves a meal and a gossip afterwards! We ran 1.75 miles before heading back for dinner. I was a good girl and had brown pasta, vegetables and chicken pesto whilst they all had pizza! I did have a packet of aero bubbles though - I couldn't resist!


Miles: 1.75

Sunday 04.03 Thanet 20 miler


Was really worried this morning - kept waking up last night with a really heavy feeling in my stomach. A little bit concerned that I may have pushed this long run too early and was worrying about injuries. Like I said, I have run two 13 milers but one was in September and one 15 miler. I did not want to injure myself after all that hard work!

Becky, Leah, Chloe and I decided that we would treat this race as a training run and ultimately wanted to complete it rather than worry about time. We were waiting at the start line and agreed that we would run 9:30 minute miles and pull back if we got too quick or push if we got too slow. When we started, I couldn't help but get swept away with the crowd and the adrenaline. Sarah joined us and took our little team to 5. I am usually really good at pacing but found it hard today. Found myself running at less than 9 minute miles, which I then had to slow down as I didn't want to go off too quick and burn out nor let my little team down!

The first 4 miles went really quickly. The loop wasn't too bad and as we were all running together, we ran well but had a chat and enjoyed running together. I quite enjoyed going out after the loop and found running near the cabbage fields quite fun. The scenery reminded me of Dungeness. We all settled into a comfortable rhythm after 5 miles. We had lots and lots of support along the way - from Dave Smythe to Sue, Trevor and Kim to Dave Weekes and his camera. Dave kept cropping up and I am sure he must have run 20 miles just finding spots to catch a photo :-)

I was still feeling strong at 10 miles when we headed in the opposite direction along the cliff tops. This part of the route was less enjoyable as we were up and down a lot. Up to the top of the cliff top, down to the sea front through little streets in the town. I didn't realise it would be 'hilly.' Felt really strong until I hit 14 miles, when my legs began to ache properly. As I was counting down to 15 miles, so we could complete our 4th lot of 5 miles (taking Dave's advice), I didn't pay too much attention to the niggles. I assumed that once I had hit 15, it would be plain sailing. Hmmm... it was at 16 miles that I began to get irritated and my legs began to ache to the point where I could feel them hurting. We were still running well though. There were a couple of tougher bits where we had a few inclines to contend with, which my bum did not agree with (I shouldn't have gone so quick on Thursday's club session as it was aching Friday morning!) Thanks to Chloe on the final hill, who after making me jump by patting me on the back, gave me some words of encouragement to get me up the hill - thanks Chloe! Saw my friends around this point too, who had travelled over to Thanet to encourage me which gave me a boost!

At mile 19, we saw Mum and co waiting for us, which was a nice feeling. It was great to hit that last mile but to be honest it didn't make me feel much better as I could see people finishing on the sea front to my left but knew I needed to loop back round first, past the swimming pool which by now I was bored of! I was quite fond of it the first time round... Heard support from Tina, Graham and Alison in the distance which gave me another boost. Could not make my legs go any quicker for this final mile and got to the stage where I really needed a wee - had the dilemma of slowing down or speeding up to help! Went for speeding up. Sarah was great on the final stretch, really strong! I felt really bad as myself, Leah, Becky and Chloe were in it together but I knew if I slowed down, I would either wet myself or stop or possibly both! I am sorry girls! Kept checking that they were behind me and tried to keep up with Sarah for the final stretch along the sea front. Could hear support from the running club which made me gather some strength for a final sprint (not my usual sprint finish but a sprint of sorts!)

Was so, so proud of myself for completing the run, particularly in 3:07:07 for my first 20. I was also proud of all the other runners who did so well too, lots of firsts and lots of P.Bs. I genuinely love the Folkestone Running Club because people are so pleased for you and so supportive. On this note, I would just like to thank Mum, Sue, Trevor, Dave Weekes and Dave Smyth in particular for their efforts with supplying drinks, gels and racing across Thanet, plus Tina, Graham and Alison for all their support today. As well as Chloe's family, Leah's family and my lovely friends! I hope I haven't forgotten anyone! Was very much appreciated by us all.

Splits:

1 - 9:09     6 - 9:16    11 - 9:12   16 - 9:29
2 - 9:08     7 - 9:28    12 - 9:27   17 - 9:45
3 - 9:25     8 - 9:32    13 - 9:12   18 - 9:23
4 - 9:10     9 - 9:09    14 - 9:38   19 - 9:33
5 - 9:06    10 - 9:15   15 - 9:41   20 - 8:56

Average pace: 9:28

Total mileage this week: 35.35 miles (highest to date!)

2 comments:

  1. Well done on your run today, it was fantastic as this is the furthest you have ever run. Hopefully should give you a lot of confidence for the Marathon, quite a psychological barrier you have now got over. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the run Kirsty and the blog for Thanet 20! You are almost writing as much as me now!! ;-) Great read and good to see your hard training is paying off x

    ReplyDelete