Monday 20 February 2012

Week beginning 20.02.12

Club Handicap Tuesday 21st Jan
Well - what a return to the U.K!!?? Arrived in Heathrow at 6am yesterday morning and was at work training by 9am. Unfortunately, Ofsted had called by midday which sent me into a minor panic as I needed sleep but also needed to update my planning. I was a very good girl whilst I was away and despite teaching most of the week, I actually spent 7 hours on the plane marking and several evenings marking SATS papers. However, I had not done my planning. I also found out that my Grandad was poorly in hospital and I couldn't get up to see him. Despite this and the pressure, I couldn't turn down the last Club Handicap for the year... I left work at 6.20pm and was at the Club collecting my number at 6.30pm. Run the route and was home at my desk working by 8.10pm.

Had a really good handicap race. I didn't like going off with Tash and Angela as I didn't like the pressure. I have generally gone off with very few people and quite often the guys who somehow are faster but I don't feel the same pressure (maybe because they are men!) Started really fast. Was concerned that I had gone off too quick but wanted a quick start as my Sandgate hill let me down last time. Managed to improve my splits on all parts of the route, which I was chuffed at. See below! Was starting to struggle after the second time on Sandgate hill before the final straight but Leah overtook and that gave me the ooomph to keep pushing. I had a really bad stitch on the final straight but managed to close down the gap between me and Leah - really pleased with myself and lots of other people had great runs too!


Splits:
1 - 7:33
2 - 8:56
3 - 8:14
4 - 8:15
5 - 7:33

Average pace 8:11
Distance 4.39

Compared to my splits last time:

1 - 7:40
2 - 9:10
3 - 8:28
4 - 8:17
5 - 7:30


Have copied my splits from my previous handicap and have got better pace on all miles. Mile 4, seems to be my most consistent and also my strongest (seeing as the first mile is down hill!)


My time was 35:38 compared to last time which was 36:21, 43 second PB - really chuffed! My first handicap in October was 38:40, so I have made an improvement of 3 minutes and 2 seconds. Woo hoo!


Saturday 25.02.12
15 miler... to be updated! Still recovering :-)
O.K, thought I'd better update my blog as I chill on the sofa after my Thanet 20 miler! Early start on Saturday, which was tough after the week I had had at work. I ummed and ahhhed about texting Becky and Leah and cancelling but knew they were going to 'plant' drinks along our route! I also didn't fancy a long run on my own! I love our runs together. Got up, dressed and ready for Becky to pick me up at 8am. Started at Bannyntynes and went up towards homebase and along the carriageway to Dover Road, down Dover Road towards the East Cliff. Down Tram Road and all the way along the seafront to the Murco garage. Picked up a drink from Becky's garden and turned around and headed back along the sea front until we got to the little fish and chip shop. Up Golden Valley, along Cheriton High Street, down Cherry Garden Avenue and back to Bannyntynes, which was 10 miles. As the girls managed a couple of long runs without me whilst I was away, I then decided to run back to my house to add on a couple of extra miles so that I felt more confident for the Thanet 20. So far, I had only completed 2x 13 milers and one of them was the Folkestone Half which was in September! 


Followed the same route up to homebase and along the carriageway but when I got to Dover Road, I continued along to the East Cliff and around by Little Switzerland. Once I got here, I was on nearly 13 miles, so I was determined to hit at least 14 miles to make it my longest run to date. My back started aching at this point and I felt much slower - haven't checked out the splits yet but I am sure they are much slower. Turned right when I hit Warren Road and looped back round to Canterbury Road. Got all the way to Downs Road with 14.2 miles on the clock. Decided I had to get to 15 now to be 'even' with the girlies. As I was running down Black Bull Road, I kept getting beeped and someone calling my name, so I had to turn around and head back up Black Bull road - not fun at 14 miles - my legs were screaming at me! Turns out it was the postman who had noticed me and had a package for me. He'd tried delivering at home but no-one was in. I somehow found myself agreeing to take it with me, so I ran the last mile with a package - up Park Farm Road and the alleyway! Found the last couple of miles tough and made me wonder whether the Thanet 20 would be pushing it a little bit! However, when I realised that I couldn't sign up for the Thanet 20 - couldn't sign up for Runners World, which meant I couldn't sign up for the race (trust me to leave it to the last minute - especially when I persuaded everyone else to do it!) I was actually a little gutted. Luckily, I spoke to someone online who managed to sort it out and get me in - phew!


Splits:
1 - 9:08
2 - 9:10
3 - 8:49
4 - 9:15
5 - 9:03
6 - 9:18
7 - 9:32
8 - 9:50 (Golden Valley!)
9 - 9:20
10 - 9:12
11 - 9:53
12 - 9:54
13 - 9:10
14 - 9:51
15 - 9:39


Average pace: 9:24


Total mileage this week: Just under 20 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment