Monday 23 January 2012

Week beginning 23.01.12

Monday
After a long weekend of lectures at uni, I had to mark books this evening and finish my reference list for my assignment, so no boxercise. I am hoping this will benefit me tomorrow in the club handicap!

Tuesday
Club handicap this evening. I was hoping that having a few days away from running would mean that I had a lot of energy to burn! I was nervous as usual at the beginning of the race but definitely looking forward to beating my last time which was 38:26. Found this last one tough due to my calf, so was determined to get less than 37 minutes. Felt strong when I set off, which shows in my splits (and the fact it was downhill in the golden valley!) Felt strong all the way round and it was nice to aim for people in front which I couldn't do when I was off scratch. Was a little concerned that I wasn't running quick enough but didn't want to look at my watch and be disheartened - or waste time! Felt quite strong up Sandgate hill. Really swung my arms and looked up (could hear Dave's voice in my head) - still need to work on hills as my pace was quite a bit slower though. Was pleased when Leah overtook as this was in the last mile and she made me keep up with her. Finished strong and pleased with my P.B of 36:21. Just need another 36 minute for the final handicap now and I'll be happy!

1 - 7:40
2 - 9:10
3 - 8:28
4 - 8:17
5 - 7:30
Average pace: 8:19

Wednesday
Really pleased with myself this evening! I am supposed to be marking but had to log on and update blog! I tutored for 2 hours this evening and was not feeling a run when I finished at half 6. I was waiting to hear from Becky about whether she had run with Leah and Angela at half 5. I was really hoping she had in some ways and hadn't in others as I knew I probably wouldn't make it out if she had already gone! Unfortunately Becky was feeling under the weather and wants to be on top form for Brighton on Saturday, so I had to make the decision to go out on my own (or not!) I have 30 maths books to mark and some Literacy too, so it would have been easy to use that as my get out clause but I decided to go for it!

Ended up running 10 miles - yay! Ran from mine up to the single carriage way and along towards the East Cliff, down onto the sands and all the way along to Sandgate. I was a little bit worried about how dark it was and couldn't decide if it would be safer to run through the coastal park or along the promenade? Went for the promenade, which was soooo windy! Really felt my time slipping and it is a little slower on the splits. Ran along towards Vasa. Turned around and headed back to the Golden Valley, doing the opposite loop to our club run yesterday. I was nearly tempted to run Sandgate hill rather than the Golden Valley as I knew it was shorter!! Managed to fall over crossing the road up the Golden Valley as I was busy trying to find the hill that Becky made Leah throw up on :-) Oooops, I caught myself well! From Golden Valley, I followed the road round to the Nail box and down to Cherry Garden Avenue. Went up the hill to Homebase. At this point, I was on 8 miles and very pleased with myself. When I got to the alley by my road, I found my legs going straight past and down Park Farm Road!?! Ran up Black Bull road to Downs road where I hit 9.2 miles. I was so close to 10, so took the long loop round Dolphins Road to hit 10 miles. Very pleased with myself :-) Average pace was 9:44 so not far off what I have been doing with Becky and co. Now for a bath before I attack those Maths books! Phew! I even managed to clean my spikes for Saturday when I got in as I was so hyped up!

1 - 9:50
2 - 9:15
3 - 10:09
4 - 10: 02
5 - 9:56
6 - 10:23
7 - 9:31
8 - 9:29
9 - 9:06
10 - 9:39
Average pace: 9:44

Thursday
Woke up with achy legs this morning. Was so busy all day that I only managed a cup of tea and some raisins (chocolate ;-p) at break and soup at lunch. Hadn't drunk anything, so the thought of running wasn't really appealing! Especially as I only got in at 5 past 5 and Becky was coming at 20 past! However, once we got going, it was a pleasant run (minus the road of remembrance!). We chatted all the way apart from the hill and the recovery at the top. We definitely picked the pace up, so I'll be interested to see the splits and compare them to last time. Becky now understands my passionate hate at stopping for cars and has developed my technique of running around cars and judging traffic lights. Love it!

1 - 10:12
2 - 9:23
3 - 10:41
4 - 9:39
5 - 9:30
6 - 9:36
7 - 8:57
Average pace: 9:44
Total mileage: 7.07

Just looked up same route for last week and average pace was 9:38, so slightly quicker. Our remembrance hill was much slower this time as was our first mile. However, once we got to mile 4, we were quicker this time.

Saturday
X Country day today! A little bit disorganised this morning as I have been trying to organise a baby shower for tomorrow and read some articles for my assignment due in Monday! Angela turned up and I wasn't quite ready. Luckily, Becky and Leah were running late. Arrived in Brighton in very good timing (thanks for driving Leah). We were lucky and got a space on the other side of the 'bush' on the verge. Everyone was pretty cold when we arrived as they had watched the youngsters run. Was really nervous about the run but once I got going, I felt very strong. I thoroughly enjoyed the first mile and was secretly pleased that I wasn't far behind Leah and Becky (not usually competitive but it's good to work out how much I have improved). Found one of the hills pretty tough through the forest - I was really naughty and walked a few steps as people were walking quicker than I was running but felt too guilty and got running again quick! I loved the final sprint as I knew it was all down hill and managed a strong finish and overtook someone in the final straight. This marathon training is paying off! Watched the boys race, was not jealous of their 9 miles! Bless them! Headed back to the hotel for a well deserved shower and vodka before heading to the Italian restaurant for a 3 course meal. A lovely evening with some lovely people. Unfortunately, us youngsters left the bar before the 'oldies' as we were tired and went back for a cuppa.

1 - 8:40
2 - 10:02
3 - 8:18
4 - 10:05
5 - 7:52
Average pace: 9:00
Total mileage: 4.92 miles

Total miles for the week: 27 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment